Friday, March 30, 2007

Last Day of Binge #10

Today was the final day of the 10th Playwright Submission Binge. This is a (Yahoo) group of writers who agree to take on the marketing challenge of submitting a play every day, for 30 days. I started this group about five years ago, as a way to make my marketing chores a little more fun, and to build an additional sense of accountability. Over the years, the group has grown to more then 300 (though only a fraction of those actively post and binge). We do submission binges twice year, once in the spring and again in the fall.

For Binge #10, I sent out 26 scripts and 53 queries, and I actually managed to submit every single day of the 30 days (I don't always succeed in this).

About a year ago, I asked folks how much success they'd from past binges, and just from 14 writers we'd had 140 productions and 31 awards (which includes honorable mentions, finalists, etc.) from binge submissions. I'm sure the number is much higher now. This year the group submitted many hundreds of scripts and queries to theatres all around the world.

The best part is that it's turned into this very supportive community of writers, who interact all year about writing and marketing for theatre.

No comments: