Friday, April 4, 2008

Making Movies--on your mark, get set...

In a few hours, I'm off to Waltham to stay up all night with three other writers (and a director hanging around somewhere), to see if we can come up with a knock-em-dead short film script for our 48-Hour Film Project team. At 7pm, we'll get the call with what genre we have to write, along with a character we need to use, a line of dialogue, and a prop. The plan is to have a story and outline in place by 11 or midnight, so the storyboarding can start, and we should have the whole thing finished by 5am or so. (We're one of 90 teams in Boston this weekend.)

It's been 20 years since I actually made movies, so I'm pretty excited by this. I'll be there on Saturday, to be part of the crew, and hope they'll let me in on the editing and post-production on Sunday, too. I'm oddly nervous, like right before a big soccer game, or before the opening night of a play. I like the adrenaline of it, and the queasy sense of the unknown.

If you're in the Boston area, you can see the results of this when our film is screened (assuming we finish, which I feel confident we will). It'll be at the Kendall Square Cinema, Cambridge, MA, Tuesday, April 8, at 7pm. It might be brilliant, it might be a train wreck, but it'll definitely be worth checking out.l

No comments: