Monday, March 28, 2011

Escape to Wonderland in Boston Theater Marathon

I got some good news last week:  my play, Escape to Wonderland, will be in the next Boston Theater Marathon.  (May 22, at the Calderwood Pavilion Theatre.)

The Boston Theater Marathon is one of favorite theatrical events every year (whether I'm in it or not, though I've been pretty lucky so far--this will be my eighth time in it):  50 new ten-minute plays, by 50 New England writers, produced by 50 different area theatre companies.  All in one day.  It's a tremendous smorgasbord of Boston theatre.

I won't find out which company will be producing the script for another month yet, but I'm dying to find out.  I've made some great relationships with theatres and artists from being paired up at the Marathon.

This play was written as part of Mill 6's T Plays series last year, and had some tremendously good performances (our local NPR station did a fun story on the creation of it).  I got to see it again this winter in DC, in the Madcap Players' Winter Carnival.  One of the great things about being a playwright is getting to see multiple productions of the same play.

Here's a photo by Isaac Liu of Keva Colbert as Cassie and Niaya L. Little as Jackie in the Madcap version.  (Directed by Gary Raymond Fry, Jr.)


And here's one from the T Plays version, with Jen O'Connor and Ally Tully (directed by John O'Brien and Barlow Adamson).

No comments: