Sunday, June 5, 2011

Report from Idaho-- days and 2

I'm enjoying my second day in McCall, Idaho--I'm sitting on patio of Bistro 45 in sun, steps from Lake Payette, listening to a piano player play movie tunes, hanging out with Larry Loebell (my dramaturg for Flight and fascinating guy and experienced writer), after he's given me the tour of the Alpine Playhouse and a look around this lovely mountain town.  Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

Yesterday, I had a nice three-hour layover in Denver International Airport, which is the perfect place for me to read and work on making changes to my play about a woman who take refuge from life at the airport (in her case, Logan). 

My lodgings for the Conference are in a rustic cabin, five miles out of town.  The quiet compared to my normal home life in Brookline is startling.  It's going to be the perfect spot for rewrites to the play over the next few weeks.


Here's the view on my way into town:

So far, it's been a fairly steady of stream of good food and interesting conversations with theatre people.  And we haven't really even started yet.  The past participants clearly thoroughly love this conference and make a point of trying to be here year after year.  There's a strong sense of community and friendship apparent from the minute you walk in the door.

Tonight we have a company meeting/bbq.  Tomorrow, Larry and I will meet to go over my play and talk about ideas and concerns and possible rewrite plans for the Conference.  I'll also meet a high school student who's working on a ten-minute play that will be read on Thursday, and whom I'll be helping mentor.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Patrick - sounds ideal. I am trying to imagine writing in serene surroundings. And can't.