Saturday, May 26, 2007

May Day Play Day: some progress

1:43am. I've got about 8 pages. Pretty rough, and much darker than I'd like, and I'm not sure I see how it ends, though I have an idea. I might need to backtrack and add some complications. The dialogue is fairly sparse, but I like that the characters know each other, and the stakes are high (life or death). I don't know if the stage business will work completely (if it doesn't, I'm going to have to do some some creative thinking on my feet tomorrow morning). I like that the setting is unusual (I got so tired of seeing living rooms, hotel rooms, and table and chairs at the Marathon), though it's a bit abstract feeling (thank you Mr. Dali).

I'd really like this to run closer to 15 minutes, but I feel a ways away from that at the moment, and it's late enough that the words are coming pretty slowly. The characters aren't nearly as clear as I'd like. Still, I think I might have a draft by 3am, with time to revise by 4am, if I'm lucky. I'd like to be at 12 pages by 3am, but I'm not sure. I'm not super sleepy, but also not super clear headed either.

Okay, that's enough break. Back to work.

No comments: