Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Writing by the Numbers: 2007 inputs

I'll admit to being something of an obsessive list-maker. I like to track and count things, it's just part of who I am. Yesterday, I posted about about output for 2007. Now I want to look at input.

In 2007:

I watched 17 productions and readings of plays. I was actually planning to cut down on watching theatre in 2007, and I did--I needed a break and didn't have much money for tickets. (In the past, I watched as many as 75 plays in a year.) Out of those 17, 12 were one-act play festivals or collections. I've just about had my fill of short play festivals for a while. My two favorite productions were Leslie Dillen's Action Jesus and The Lion King (on Broadway). The most disappointing was The Cherry Orchard at the Huntington Theatre--I went with high hopes because I love Chekov and it had a stellar cast and director. But the whole production felt oddly flat, and I longed for a more intimate environment for the play.

I watched at least 59 movies (some of these are TV series, too): (gotta love Netflix)
  1. Touch of Evil – Orson Welles
  2. Touch of Evil – Orson Welles (revised edition)
  3. Foyle's War episode 1 (a really terrific series of movies made for BBC TV)
  4. Foyle’s War episode 3
  5. Foyle’s War episode 4
  6. 40 Year Old Virgin
  7. Foyle’s War episode 5
  8. Little Miss Sunshine
  9. This Film is Not Yet Rated
  10. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  11. Foyle’s War, episode 6
  12. Foyle’s War, episode 7
  13. Foyle’s War, episode 8
  14. Anger Management
  15. Edward Scissorhands
  16. Babel
  17. Foyle’s War, episode 9 (Enemy Fire)
  18. When The Levee’s Broke – Part 1
  19. Sankofa
  20. The Departed (x2)
  21. Foyle’s War, War of Nerves
  22. The Lives of Others
  23. Thank You For Smoking
  24. Courage Under Fire
  25. Munich
  26. Volver
  27. Stranger than Fiction
  28. The Good Girl
  29. Pan’s Labyrinth
  30. The Conversation (one of my favorite movies of all time. )
  31. Paris, je t’aime
  32. Children of Men
  33. The Good Shepherd
  34. Sicko (he's still got me fired up about health care)
  35. Curse of the Golden Flower
  36. The Devil Wears Prada
  37. Pursuit of Happyness
  38. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  39. Ocean’s 13
  40. Ratatouille
  41. Harry Potter 4
  42. Napoleon Dynamite
  43. I’m Through With White Girls (Roxbury Film Festival)
  44. Bridge to Tarabithia
  45. Emperor’s Club
  46. The Queen
  47. Letters from Iwo Jima
  48. The Last King of Scotland
  49. Heroes (TV show, season 1 on DVD)
  50. The Price of Sugar
  51. The Mist
  52. Michael Clayton
  53. Miss Congeniality
  54. The Squid and the Whale
  55. Firefly (entire series) (possibly my pick of the year)
  56. Serenity
  57. Proof
  58. I Am Legend (whoah. Very intense. Much more of a horror-zombie pic than I expected, but Will Smith was great, as always)
  59. Delicatessen (watched this last night, and it's so weird yet so intricate. Jean-Pierre Jeunet may be one of my favorite directors.)

I read 28 books (3 of which are still unpublished):
  1. The Light of Day – Graham Swift
  2. Bird by Bird – Anne Lamott
  3. The Polysyllabic SpreeNick Hornby
  4. Guns, Germs, and Steel – Jared Diamond
  5. Housekeeping vs. The Dirt – Nick Hornby
  6. The Fire Next Time – James Baldwin
  7. The Omnivore’s Dilemma – Michael Pollan (I read so many great books this year, but this might be my favorite by a slight bit.)
  8. Mission to America – Walter Kirn
  9. The Hidden Wound – Wendell Berry
  10. The Well of Lost Plots – Jasper Fforde
  11. Digging to America – Anne Tyler
  12. Big Money – P.G. Wodehouse
  13. Cezanne is Missing – Frank McMillan
  14. manuscript by Ingrid Blanco
  15. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle – Barbara Kingsolver
  16. manuscript by Mark Dunn
  17. Sundown Towns – James W. Loewen (not a fast read, but important stuff)
  18. The Honey Thief – Elizabeth Graver
  19. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister – Gregory Maguire
  20. Exit Strategy – Mike Wiecek
  21. A Prayer for the Dying – Stuart O’Nan
  22. Mindset – Carol Dweck
  23. Slam – Nick Hornby
  24. manuscript by Deb Vlock
  25. The Long Tail – Chris Anderson
  26. The Woman Who Walked Into Doors – Paddy Doyle
  27. The Tipping Point – Malcolm Gladwell
  28. Crazy in Alabama – Mark Childress (just finished this one--funny and serious and dark. Has a horrible cover--one that wouldn't make you think there might be race riots, Martin Luther King, dismemberment, The Beverly Hillbillies, and murder)

In terms of other input and performances, I got to see the fabulous Snappy Dance Theater in Boston and also went to a bunch of book readings by some of my favorite authors.


For 2008, I hope to keep up the same pace, and maybe read a few more books, if I can make the time.

No comments: