Wednesday, December 17, 2008

joining the StageSource board

I've been officially added to the board of StageSource as of this week. StageSource is a pretty amazing organization that serves theatre practitioners throughout New England (and especially in Boston). They currently have more than 2,000 individual members and 250 theatres and theatre organizations. They sponsor a theatre conference every two years and various other projects. I've already been working with them on a playwright event scheduled for April (Playwriting in 3D--conversations with designers and playwrights) of 2009.

Even though it means more work and more meetings (which is a little scary, I confess), I'm excited to be a part of the board. Their setup is a little unusual--the board is comprised of a wide range of theatre folk (I'm one of the playwright representatives) as well as civilians, who work together with a paid staff and executive director. For me, it's a chance to get to know many theatre artists in Bostom whom I truly admire. Hopefully I'll be a useful addition to the group. One thing I want to do is to continue to find ways to make sure that StageSource becomes even more useful to its playwright members, so that any playwright in Boston/New England would be a fool not to join.

I've lived in a lot of different cities, and I feel like Boston is served remarkably well by StageSource, much more so than most people here realize. I'm glad to have a chance to contribute to keeping it strong.

3 comments:

Art said...

Congrats Patrick.

By the way, check out this funny post about the state of book publising:

http://tinyurl.com/44wbln

Dan Milstein said...

Pat,

Great news -- StageSource if very lucky to have you. Say hey to Kristin once you're there ;-)

-Dan

Patrick Gabridge said...

Thanks, guys. I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Art--that's such a cool site, I'm going to put up a post about it, so people will definitely see it.