Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NYC and Escape to Wonderland at EstroGenius

October was a whirlwind of a month, so I'm behind in posting.  I traveled to New York twice last month.  Last week, I went to see fellow Rhombus writer Kirsten Greenidge's terrific new play, Milk Like Sugar, which officially opens at Playwrights Horizons tonight (and marks Kirsten's Off Broadway debut), after starting out at La Jolla Playhouse.  I'm always in awe of what Kirsten can do with the rhythm of the words that come from her characters.

Earlier in the month, I went to New York to see one of my own plays, Escape to Wonderland, which was in the first week of the EstroGenius Festival, at Manhattan Theatre Source.  I also had a chance to meet with folks at a couple different theatres, and a director, and a radio producer, and some friends.  (I tend to pack a lot into these trips).  EstroGenius did a nice job with my play, and it was a fun evening of new plays.  I was delighted to meet Mary Hodges, my director, and the actresses in my show, Sheila Joon and Darnell Williams.

(some photos from the trip:)

The front of the Manhattan Theatre Source space on MacDougall Street.  How many theatres are located above dog washes?

My friends Arthur and Nadisa came out to the show and have always been tremendous supporters of my work.  Arthur was instrumental in helping me produce my very first full-length play, In A Glass Cage, at Synchronicity Space on Mercer Street in NYC--exactly 21 years ago today.  (Thanks, Arthur!)
 The two lovely actresses from my show, Sheila and Darnell.


And last, but not least, the audience.  This is part of my continuing series of photos of the audiences for my plays.  We see lots of photos of actors and sets around theatre, but not much of the audience.  Without them, there's no point in doing all of this.

No comments: