Saturday, July 6, 2013

Tests of Endurance and Speed (for the creators, not the audience)


This Friday and Saturday, July 12 and 13,, I'll be part of the Mad Dash Festival in Cambridge.  Fresh Ink and Interim Writers are co-sponsoring this 24-hour play festival.  Sixteen playwrights will be paired into teams Friday night at 8pm, given a prompt and then sent off to write new short plays.  Which need to be completed by 7am Saturday!

Rehearsals will begin by 8:45am and by 8pm they'll have the new plays rehearsed and on their feet, ready to go.  (This is where you come in.)  The performances will take place at the Cambridge YMCA Theatre.  (Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door.)

These events are a lot of fun (I've done 24-hour festivals twice before) and a lot of pressure on everyone.  I can tell you from experience that when the writers get to that dark, tired place at 3am, there is no turning back.  There's no chance to toss out that idea and find a new one.  You ride your idea all the way home.  I love the challenge of it, and I'm very interested to see who will be my writing partner (we'll be randomly matched).

And these days, with all the farming, I find it pretty tough to stay awake much past 9 o'clock, so I think Friday is going to require some serious napping, so that I'm prepped and ready to go.  And lots of dark chocolate to get me through the night.

I'm particularly excited to see these two groups joining forces--both are at the forefront of the surge in new work being developed all around Boston.

Come check it out!

No comments: