Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fingers Crossed

I'm supposed to have my fiction writers' group here tomorrow, where we'll talk about the second half of my new novel. This is (I hope) the last major feedback I'll get before I finish up, so I can start sending this thing out in early February. I always get nervous before these things, even though my group is extremely gentle and supportive (in addition to being smart and well-read) (no, I'm not trying to butter them up, in case they read this). I don't think they're likely to suggest that I just scrap the whole thing, but we'll see.

I'm just hoping that the weather doesn't cancel the whole thing. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow tomorrow, though it's also supposed to be bitterly cold--my hope is that the cold will keep the snowfall to a minimum, and whatever we get will be very dry and fluffy. A delay would make me have to rearrange my writing schedule and plan for these next few weeks, so I've got my fingers crossed for flurries only.

We're supposed to have some of our coldest weather in years. For Boston, that means single digits, maybe we'll even touch zero. I'm spoiled by this mild Boston climate--I have to remind myself that I grew up in Saranac Lake, New York, where it's 14 below zero right this second and not likely to top zero all day. I remember stretches as a kid where the temp might not get above zero for an entire week. Now, that's cold.

No comments: